Orioles Card "O" the Day

An intersection of two of my passions: baseball cards and the Baltimore Orioles. Updated daily?

Monday, September 27, 2010

Rick Schu, 1989 Donruss #406

Ah, 1989 Donruss. The very definition of junk wax. You can buy a complete set of this stuff for $13, or a 36-pack wax box for $12. I got a call from my mother on Saturday to let me know that she was at a flea market and had discovered a junk wax closeout. I'm fortunate to have family members who keeps their heads on a swivel for baseball cards. Some poor schlub was trying to unload a full wax box of 1989 Donruss, about half a wax box of 1990 Fleer, four packs of 1991 Donruss, four or five blister packed 1990 Donruss Orioles team sets, an unopened factory set of 1987 Donruss Opening Day, another partial set of 1987 Donruss Opening Day, and a few empty plastic card boxes for storage. He was eager to unload the stuff, so I told her to pull the trigger at $20. I already have about 280 of the 660 cards in the 1989 set, so I figured I might as well see if I can complete it. I've got a factory set of 1990 Fleer (one of the dopier purchases of my youth), so I'll be giving those packs away. Let me know if you want some - don't everybody shout at once. I'll probably also divvy up the partial 1987 Opening Day set for other collectors and/or bloggers with team set needs...either that, or I'll burn all of my dupes to create scarcity and drive up the value. Hah.

3 comments:

William said...

Today is your 1000th post -- drop the confetti, launch the streamers, unfurl the...Rick Schu?

Congratulations on a big milestone! It's been a blast reading!

Jim from Downingtown said...

William, the Phillies moved all-time great Mike Schmidt over to 1st base one year to accommodate the mighty Schu !

Kevin said...

William - Thanks. See Tuesday's post for expanded thoughts on the milestone.

Jim - And in Baltimore, Schu replaced former World Series MVP Ray Knight at third.