Orioles Card "O" the Day

An intersection of two of my passions: baseball cards and the Baltimore Orioles. Updated daily?

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Cesar Izturis, 2009 Upper Deck O-Pee-Chee #4

This weekend the process of preparing my new home to be suitable for living began in earnest, and I was ridiculously busy/ How busy? So busy that I'm filing Saturday's entry on Sunday night. So busy that I grabbed the first card I saw on top of my desk and scanned it, with no regard for how I could possibly tie Cesar Izturis into all of this. So busy that I'm not going to keep fishing for examples.

3 comments:

Commishbob said...

For a quick grab-n-scan you picked an pretty nice card, Kevin. I had no idea the O-Pee-Chee brand was still in use. I guess Topps sold the name to UD?

Kevin said...

Bob - O-Pee-Chee was apparently an independent Canadian company that just had a working agreement with Topps until Topps lost their NHL license in the middle of the last decade. At that point, OPC joined up with Upper Deck to keep making hockey cards. UD came out with an OPC baseball set last year for the first time, and it was my favorite set that they produced in 2009.

Commishbob said...

Working agreement makes sense. Back in the 70s/80s (and before IIRC) their baseball cards were mirror images of Topps' cards with a bilingual write-up on the back, I have a couple of Eddie Murray OPC rookies.
The twists and turns of licensing can be interesting. I just googled the company and found that they've been around in one form or another since 1911. Who knew?