Orioles Card "O" the Day

An intersection of two of my passions: baseball cards and the Baltimore Orioles. Updated daily?

Friday, January 3, 2014

Vintage Fridays: Hoyt Wilhelm, 1961 Post #80

Okay, I'll admit right off the bat that this one is a bit of a cheat. I found myself in need of a Hoyt Wilhelm card for today, but I'd already featured all of the vintage Wilhelms in my team collection in previous blog posts. I turned a crisis into an opportunity, and stuck this guy in my shopping cart at Check Out My Cards. All for the greater good of the blog...the greater good.

I'm not as active in the discussion threads at Camden Chat as I once was, but I still keep close tabs on the links, articles, and opinions at the site. I'm happy to call managing editors Stacey and Mark friends of mine, and the same goes for contributing author Bill. So when Stacey contacted me over the holidays to ask permission to use some of my card scans for a new project at CC, I quickly agreed. Said project has now launched, so I will share a link to Stacey and Mark's countdown of the Top 40 Orioles of All Time. So far they've revealed numbers 40, 39, and 38: Storm Davis, Gus Triandos, and ol' knuckleballin' Hoyt, respectively. I'd strongly recommend reading the work of the double-play combo of Folkemer and Brown, and bookmarking that link so you don't miss the rest of the players as they're unveiled. You definitely probably won't be sorry!

No comments: