Orioles Card "O" the Day

An intersection of two of my passions: baseball cards and the Baltimore Orioles. Updated daily?

Friday, January 18, 2013

Vintage Fridays: Bob Hale, 1959 Topps #507

Bob Hale commanded attention as a 21-year-old rookie with the Orioles in 1955, batting .357 in 182 at-bats after debuting in July. Though he stuck around for parts of seven big league seasons, he played sparingly afterward and was primarily a pinch hitter. Power wasn't really his game, as he hit only two career home runs. Of course, the first of those came against Hall of Famer Bob Lemon.

Hale was born in Sarasota, which is now the spring training home of the Orioles. If all goes well tomorrow, my sister and I might be booking a weekend in March to check out some Grapefruit League action. I'm looking forward to seeing Ed Smith Stadium and the rest of the complex, since my getaway to the O's previous spring home in Fort Lauderdale back in 2007 left me less than impressed. From what I've heard about the Sarasota digs, the difference is night and day. Besides, if it's half as cold here in Baltimore in March as it is now, I'll be glad to fly south for a bit.

No comments: