Orioles Card "O" the Day

An intersection of two of my passions: baseball cards and the Baltimore Orioles. Updated daily?

Friday, February 17, 2012

Vintage Fridays: Willy Miranda, 1956 Topps #103

I mentioned earlier this week that I have a pretty small rotation of baseball card blogs that I read regularly, but now I think I have to add one to the bunch. Cliff Anderson asked me to check out his work at the bluntly-named "really bad baseball cards" blog, and I'm glad he did. Cliff focuses on offbeat photos, names, and other idiosyncracies from the rich subject material of 1950s cards. His posts are irreverent and clever, and it looks like he churns out a new one every week or so, which means that it shouldn't be too hard for us Internet junkies to keep up with reading them. I got a kick out of the "Little Guy" series of posts, examining the smaller action shots that complemented the close-up portraits on the fronts of the 1954, 1955 and 1956 Topps cards. Somehow this card, with its depiction of Willy Miranda doing either a bunny hop or a crab walk, escaped Cliff's attention. There will always be room for card blogs that exist for the pure and simple fun of it, and I hope that Cliff keeps up the good work for a long time.

No comments: