Orioles Card "O" the Day

An intersection of two of my passions: baseball cards and the Baltimore Orioles. Updated daily?

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Erik Bedard, 2007 Upper Deck Sweet Spot Sweet Swatch #SW-EB

I haven't done a whole lot of trading lately, but I did acquire this fine relic in a quick and easy transaction with Thorzul recently. Milwaukee's most profane card blogger had mentioned that he was interested in Clubhouse Collection relics from one of his favorite modern sets, 2007 Topps Heritage. I happened to have Chris Carpenter's jersey swatch card from that set, so I made an offer. I'm more than happy with my end of the bargain, as this is my first mutilated bit of jersey from one of the most talented and fragile pitchers in recent Oriole lore.

Bedard (BUH-DARD) is still gritting it out up in Seattle, where he has totaled 33 starts in three-plus seasons since Andy MacPhail traded him for Adam Jones, Chris Tillman, George Sherrill, Kam Mickolio, and Tony Butler. He missed the entire 2010 season, and has given up 16 runs (13 earned) in 13.2 innings while losing all three starts this April. The really ugly stat: a league-leading six home runs allowed. I'm not sure how long it will take for Erik to get fed up and call it a career, but a morbid part of me wonders if the card companies will someday push the envelope by including bits of elbow and shoulder ligament in relic cards. Heck, they've already moved up to locks of hair from dead people.

No comments: