Orioles Card "O" the Day

An intersection of two of my passions: baseball cards and the Baltimore Orioles. Updated daily?

Friday, December 24, 2010

Vintage Fridays: Walt Dropo, 1960 Topps #79


I'd like to wish a Happy and healthy Christmas to all who celebrate it. I hope that you are spending the day with loved ones, and thinking of those who are no longer with you. Unfortunately one of the departed is former Orioles first baseman Walt "Moose" Dropo, who passed away a week ago at age 87. I talked a bit about his amazing rookie season and his embarrassing moments on Walt Dropo Day in one of my earliest Vintage Fridays entries. The only things that I'd like to add:

1) I'm glad to see that his grandchildren still sponsor "Grampie Walter"'s Baseball Reference player page. I'm sure he'll be missed.

2) Since Walt was playing out the end of his career by the time he became an Oriole, I wanted to call attention to one of his great games in Baltimore. On July 4, 1959, he went 3-for-5 with three runs scored, two homers, and four RBI as the Birds beat the Red Sox 11-5. His two-run home run in the second inning gave the O's a lead they wouldn't relinquish.

Rest in peace, Walt.

No comments: