Orioles Card "O" the Day

An intersection of two of my passions: baseball cards and the Baltimore Orioles. Updated daily?

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Brian Roberts, 2010 Bowman #37

I consider myself a Brian Roberts collector, in that I collect baseball cards (and particularly those with Orioles on them) and he is my favorite player. Although I haven't sought out his cards in particular, I do currently have 72 of them. But I know that's just scratching the surface. After all, he's been an Oriole for 10 years, and the number of different cards released in that time has remained astronomical even as the card companies funneled down to two. Consider that night owl owns over 100 of Clayton Kershaw's cards, and the Dodgers pitcher has only been in the majors since 2008. Nonetheless, the 72 B-Rob cards that I own are a nice starting point. There are base cards and inserts, retro designs and shiny cutting-edge creations, bat relics and serial-numbered. There are pictures of him clean-shaven and scruffy, posing, batting, running, and fielding. There are cameos by Dustin Pedroia (pictured above), Lee Mazzilli, Gerald Laird, and Melvin Mora. It's time to get cracking, and expand the boundaries of my Brian Roberts player collection.

4 comments:

William said...

Let me put this in perspective: I have over about 800 cards of Richard Hidalgo (probably 400-500 different ones). Yeah.

Ryan H said...

I haven't counted how many different Cal Ripken cards I have but my (2) 5 inch heavy duty binders may soon expand to 3!

Orioles Magic said...

I can probably help you out with some of the lower dollar B-Rob cards that have been sent to me in trade packages. Considering that I get his autograph about once a season and have about 50 cards of his, I don't think that I need them all.

Kevin said...

William - Did you do that on purpose?

Ryan - Well done! Topps certainly isn't going to stop producing Cal Ripken cards any time soon, even though he's been retired for ten years. A collector's work is never done...

Ryan (OM) - Thank you! I'll send you a needs list when I get a moment.