Orioles Card "O" the Day

An intersection of two of my passions: baseball cards and the Baltimore Orioles. Updated daily?

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Alan Mills, 1998 Pacific Online #94

This is a pretty transparent attempt by Pacific to capitalize on that "Inter-net" thing that everyone was talking about back in the late 1990s. I can't tell you for sure whether the first URL actually led to a web page about Alan Mills; today, it leads nowhere. The other URL actually redirects to the Orioles' official website. I do remember the halcyon days when teams maintained their own sites independently of Major League Baseball, but I don't know why "theorioles.com" was necessary. I'm guessing some other quick-thinking wonk snapped up "orioles.com", but the O's and MLB eventually got their mitts on it.

As long as we're accessing the WABAC machine, you can see the Orioles' website as it looked in June 1997 by following this link. It seems like another lifetime, doesn't it?

No comments: