Orioles Card "O" the Day

An intersection of two of my passions: baseball cards and the Baltimore Orioles. Updated daily?

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Jose Mesa, 1991 Donruss #765

This week's reader request comes from William, whose stated reason was "just sayin'". That's not actually a reason at all, so I'll try to do some legwork and figure out why he wanted to see this card today. Is it because Tuesday was the 13th anniversary of Jose's blown save that cost the Indians the World Series? Perhaps. Is it because his 321 career saves are 13th all-time and are a record among Dominican-born major leaguers? Maybe. Is it because this photo affords an excellent view of Mesa's surprisingly well-toned glutes? I would never make such a baseless accusation. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

3 comments:

William said...

hahahaha I love this instant gratification! The real reason is this: 19991 Donruss is one of the first sets I ever opened packs of, and those green, paint-splattered borders still make me nostalgic to this day. Plus, nothing's better than a mid-windup Mesa.

Ryan H said...

1991 Donruss was the first full box of cards I remember opening. I remember running around the house screaming when I pulled a Cal Ripken out of the box. I wonder if I still have that card...?

Kevin said...

William - So you prefer the green of Series 2 to the blue of Series 1? I think that's my preference, as much as I could possibly have a preference when it comes to 1991 Donruss.

Ryan - Nice! My first box was 1993 Topps Series 2. The big pull was a BlackGold winner card that entitled me to 1/4 of the set, including Frank Thomas. Not too shabby.