Orioles Card "O" the Day

An intersection of two of my passions: baseball cards and the Baltimore Orioles. Updated daily?

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Don Aase, 1987 Donruss 3x5 All-Stars #47

I lost track of time tonight, and in a pinch, oddball cards work well. I'd never seen one of these big boys until Mr. Aase arrived in a bubble mailer from John in the United Kingdom. Donruss put out a set of 60 oversized cards to commemorate the 1986 All-Stars. They actually measure about 3 1/2" x 5 ", just like the photos you used to take before the days of digital cameras. Oversized and undersized cards kind of bug me, because I'm so used to the standard 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 inch card size. They're easier for me to stack, sort, and store. That being said, if you're going to go for a different size, go for broke. The cards that I've abused the worst are those that are just barely bigger than usual, like 1989 Bowman or the late Eighties Topps Big cards. I'd try to shoehorn them into boxes or binder sheets meant for the regular cards, and they paid the price. I'm not sure what I'll do with Big Ol' Don Aase. Maybe I'll put it in a photo frame and confuse the hell out of future visitors to my home.

1 comment:

Commishbob said...

I met Don Aase at the All Star headquarters hotel here in Houston in 1986. A friend and fellow O's fan and I had wrangled press credentials (we were good at that back then) and were mooching refreshments and rubbing elbows with players and celebs at various functions during the break. We spotted Aase getting out of a cab and went over to say 'Hi' and I told him about a premonition* I had that he would get the All Star Game save for the A.L.
He laughed and said something like "I hope you are right". We shot the bull for a bit and he didn't seem to mind talking to a couple of fans. Turns out he got the save on a double play grounder to end a very uneventful game (outside of Fernando Valenzuela whiffing five guys in a row at one point). My buddy and I had a good laugh over that.

*= It was actually a dream I had that Aase would get the save but I was reluctant to admit to having a dream about Don Aase.