Orioles Card "O" the Day

An intersection of two of my passions: baseball cards and the Baltimore Orioles. Updated daily?

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Brooks Robinson, 2008 Donruss Threads #3

They're BAAAAAACCCKKK! Okay, so they don't have all the proper licensing just now. You might notice the lack of a black and orange cartoon bird logo on Brooksie's helmet, or the plain all-caps "BALTIMORE" with no subsequent "ORIOLES". I'm not sure why the "Orioles" wordmark still appears on his jersey; it's the same with the other card I've gotten from this set (Eddie Murray). So clearly Donruss doesn't have a full MLB license, but they've got their foot in the door and this is an understated, classy-looking set. I especially like the baseball-stitch bunting in the top corners. Good to have them back in some capacity to cut through the sniping and tedium and gimmickry of Upper Deck and Topps.


deal said...

Yes I have like what I have seen from the set, and may try and build it. The missing logos is a bit awkward on some cards. The Juan Marichal card has a conspicuosly blank jersey.

zman40 said...

I only have one card fom this set, but I thumbed through a complete set at the card shop. One thing that stood out to me is that it didn't seem to be a problem if only part of the jersey logo showed. If the whole name across the chest would have been visible, it was removed. But, I might be wrong or was in a hurry.

Kevin said...

zman - That's probably true...neither this card or the Eddie Murray has a completely unobscured wordmark.