Orioles Card "O" the Day

An intersection of two of my passions: baseball cards and the Baltimore Orioles. Updated daily?

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Brooks Robinson, 2008 Donruss Threads #3

They're BAAAAAACCCKKK! Okay, so they don't have all the proper licensing just now. You might notice the lack of a black and orange cartoon bird logo on Brooksie's helmet, or the plain all-caps "BALTIMORE" with no subsequent "ORIOLES". I'm not sure why the "Orioles" wordmark still appears on his jersey; it's the same with the other card I've gotten from this set (Eddie Murray). So clearly Donruss doesn't have a full MLB license, but they've got their foot in the door and this is an understated, classy-looking set. I especially like the baseball-stitch bunting in the top corners. Good to have them back in some capacity to cut through the sniping and tedium and gimmickry of Upper Deck and Topps.

3 comments:

deal said...

Yes I have like what I have seen from the set, and may try and build it. The missing logos is a bit awkward on some cards. The Juan Marichal card has a conspicuosly blank jersey.

zman40 said...

I only have one card fom this set, but I thumbed through a complete set at the card shop. One thing that stood out to me is that it didn't seem to be a problem if only part of the jersey logo showed. If the whole name across the chest would have been visible, it was removed. But, I might be wrong or was in a hurry.

Kevin said...

zman - That's probably true...neither this card or the Eddie Murray has a completely unobscured wordmark.