Orioles Card "O" the Day

An intersection of two of my passions: baseball cards and the Baltimore Orioles. Updated daily?

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

John Lowenstein, 1985 Donruss #245

Brother Lo! You've been absent from this blog for far too long. The colorful stories about this flaky former outfielder are legion, and some of the longtime O's fans among my readership probably know more of them than I do. My favorite anecdote is recounted here, as John is stretchered off the field after taking a relay throw in the head as a base runner. Lo, who had just driven in the tying and go-ahead runs, was about to be carried into the dugout when he sat up straight and pumped his fists in the air, to the delight of the Memorial Stadium faithful!

With his over-the-top personality, it can be easy to overlook Lowenstein's skills as a hitter. He was the lefty half of Earl Weaver's brilliant left field platoon, paired with righty Gary Roenicke). In the near-miss season of 1982, the duo combined for 45 home runs and 140 RBI. John himself had a ridiculous 1.017 OPS that year, and went deep once per 13.4 at-bats!

According to the back of this card, the Birds purchased Lo on waivers from the Rangers in 1978 for $25,000. I'd say they got their money's worth. That little factoid would be my favorite thing about this card, were it not for John's #1 fan sitting in the first row on the front of the card. He's rocking the big round shades just like his favorite player.

3 comments:

Commishbob said...

Tonight, tonight, let it be Lowenstein!! Lo was a good guy and quite a valuable cog in the Oriole wheel. Good to see him here.


btw... Lo is from Montana, as is what other Orioles Championship ring holder?

Kevin said...

Bob, I'm a bit ashamed I had to look it up: Dave McNally. I'll blame it on the sleep deprivation. But I did remember the other O's pitcher from Montana, Mr. Jeff Ballard.

Did you check out that win tonight? Never a doubt, Georgie. I think I have some new gray hairs!

Commishbob said...

Heck I forgot about Ballard or I would have made up a question that included him. Three guys from Montana is kind of weird.

Yeah, I was following the game. I had one eye on a Law & Order rerun and one eye on the game via ESPN's Gamecenter. Surprising how wound up one gets over a late July game that really doesn't matter except for pride. Never a doubt, indeed. LOL